- The supply and installation of a Weigh-In-Motion preclearance system at the Cajon weigh station will protect roads and improve safety in the state of California
- E-screening system at the weigh station will include multiple machine vision and sensor technologies for vehicle identification and verification of safety status
SASKATOON, SK, Oct. 25, 2023 /PRNewswire/ - International Road Dynamics Inc. ("IRD"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Quarterhill Inc. ("Quarterhill" or the "Company") (TSX: QTRH) (OTCQX: QTRHF), announced today that it has been awarded a $2.8 million contract by the California Department of Transportation ("Caltrans"). The contract covers the supply of a high-speed Weigh-In-Motion ("WIM") pre-clearance system and a sophisticated Ramp E-screening system at the Cajon weigh station. All Financial information in this press release is reported in Canadian dollars unless otherwise indicated.
The E-screening system will target overweight and unsafe vehicles with the aim of enhancing enforcement efficiency and highway safety. IRD will supply and install all system components – including the WIM system, station signs, cameras, advanced machine vision technology such as a USDOT Number Reader, HAZMAT Placard Reader, Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance Decal Reader, and Thermal Brake Inspection System. IRD's Tire Anomaly and Classification System ("TACS") will be used at the site to identify unsafe tires.
Features of IRD's services include:
- Preventing Premature Infrastructure Deterioration: The system will contribute to curbing premature pavement infrastructure degradation by identifying overweight vehicles for enforcement. The integration of a two-step weighing process with Slow Speed WIM ensures the highest possible weight pre-screening accuracy.
- Credential and Safety Screening: Vehicles are screened against state and federal databases as they pass through the system. High-efficiency E-screening ensures that only high-risk commercial vehicles are flagged for inspection resulting in reduced congestion, vehicle emissions, and transport delays.
- Tire Anomaly and Classification System (TACS): IRD's innovative TACS will screen commercial vehicle tires, automatically flagging vehicles considered unsafe due to flat, missing, or mismatched tires. This system identifies vehicles and specific axles with tire anomalies, providing station operators with the vital ability to select these vehicles for scrutiny.
"We are honored to partner with Caltrans in their pursuit of highway safety and efficiency," said Rish Malhotra, IRD's CEO. "IRD's commitment to leveraging technology to improve highway safety remains steadfast, and this collaboration with Caltrans stands as a testament to this driving mission."
Chuck Myers, CEO of Quarterhill, added, "This contract expands our footprint in the state of California, where we have been doing business for more than 35 years. TACS is a unique solution that reinforces IRD's reputation for innovation and its leading position in enforcement within the ITS industry."
IRD is a dynamic technology company engaged in developing key components and advanced systems for the next generation of transportation networks. Together with subsidiaries PAT Traffic and IRD Europe (ICOMS Detections, Sensor Line and VDS), IRD supplies Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) to private corporations, transportation agencies, and highway authorities around the world. IRD's systems make highways safer, greener, and more efficient. Known globally as a trusted partner providing sales, service, and installation support on major ITS projects for over 40 years, IRD contributes to creating smarter cities by empowering engineering and urban planning professionals to access reliable traffic data. For more information, visit www.irdinc.com
Quarterhill is a leading provider of tolling and enforcement solutions in the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) industry. Our goal is global leadership in ITS, via organic growth of the Electronic Transaction Consultants, LLC (ETC) and International Road Dynamics Inc. (IRD) platforms, and by continuing an acquisition-oriented investment strategy that capitalizes on attractive growth opportunities within ITS and its adjacent markets. Quarterhill is listed on the TSX under the symbol QTRH and on the OTCQX Best Market under the symbol QTRHF. For more information, visit www.quarterhill.com.
This news release contains forward-looking statements regarding Quarterhill, its operating subsidiaries and their respective businesses. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by Quarterhill in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and the expected effects of new business strategies, as well as other factors that Quarterhill believes are appropriate in the circumstances. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed herein may not occur and could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Quarterhill, which include, without limitation, the risks described in Quarterhill's March 22, 2023 annual information form for the year ended December 31, 2022 (the "AIF"). In addition, readers are also urged to review the additional risk factors disclosed in our Management's Discussion and Analysis for the three months ended June 30, 2023 filed on www.sedarplus.ca. Quarterhill recommends that readers review and consider all of these risk factors and notes that readers should not place undue reliance on any of Quarterhill's forward-looking statements. Quarterhill has no intention, and undertakes no obligation, to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
SOURCE Quarterhill Inc.